Camp food doesn’t have to be basic! By prepping ahead or bringing a few extra ingredients, you can wow your campers appetites with gourmet camp food and make your trip something to remember!
Check out these three easy camping recipes:
Campfire Greek Lamb Burgers:
- 200g ground lamb
- 200g ground beef
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Cracked pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups baby gold or Yukon potatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup feta cheese
- Prepare a hot campfire and place a grate over the top. Add a cast iron skillet over medium direct heat.
- Pat dry the lamb and ground beef and add to a bowl with the coriander, cumin, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ground nutmeg, onion powder, and fresh oregano. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then mix thoroughly to combine.
- Form 4 equal patties, then press a dimple into the centre of each. Cover and set aside.
- Add the butter to the skillet and let melt. Toss in the diced potatoes and cook until they just begin to crisp. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and remaining garlic powder.
- Gently push the potatoes to the edges of the pan and nestle in the 4 lamb burger patties.
- Allow to cook for 5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Sprinkle potatoes with fresh dill, then top the burgers with diced tomatoes and feta cheese.
Grilled Pineapple and Chicken Foil Packets:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 1 green capsicum, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can pineapple chunks
- 1 cup Teriyaki sauce
- 1 cup Asian toasted sesame dressing
- Preheat the grill.
- Lay out 4 large (about 24 inches long) pieces of foil.
- In a bowl whisk together teriyaki sauce and sesame dressing.
- Distribute chicken, peppers, onions, pineapple chunks, and sauce between the sheets of foil.
- Fold the the sides of the foil over the fillings and seal shut.
- Grill packets for about 10-15 minutes, turning over once half way through.
- Carefully unfold foil packets and check chicken to make sure it is cooked through. Garnish with coriander and sesame seeds if desired, serve immediately.
Campfire French Toast:
- 1 loaf of bread
- 8 Cackleberry eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 500g container of fresh strawberries
- Icing sugar
- Dice half of the container of strawberries and slice the other half.
- Wrap the loaf of bread in parchment paper, then in foil loosely so the bread slices fall slightly open.
- Sprinkle the diced strawberries over the loaf, taking care to sprinkle some between slices; set aside the sliced strawberries for afterwards.
- Sprinkle the sliced almonds in the same way as the diced strawberries over the loaf.
- Whisk eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon until frothy.
- Wrap the foil and parchment paper tighter around the loaf of bread.
- Pour eggs evenly over the entire loaf of bread before wrapping tightly with a top piece of foil to ensure no leaks.
- Place over the campfire or grill on low to medium heat for approximately 40 minutes, moving around occasionally to cook evenly. If the bread looks soggy still, cook slightly longer.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 10 mins before serving with sugar, syrup and sliced strawberries.