Christmas Ham FAQs
Why choose Hampden Bridge Ham?
Knights Meats & Deli has celebrated Christmas with this community for almost 40 years. We select guaranteed Australian pork sourced from local Australian producers, which is then smoked on site to create the full flavour that our customers come back for, year after year!
Our smokehouse cooked leg ham won the bronze award at the Inaugural 2012 AMIC NSW Smallgoods Competition.
What size ham do I need?
Bone In Ham: 200-250g per person
Boneless Ham: 150-200g per person
Are Hampden Bridge Hams gluten free?
Yes, and because they are processed on site right here in Wagga, they also use minimal preservatives.
Do I have to cook my ham?
No you don't have to cook the ham as it has already been slowly cooked/smoked with our special blend of woodchips to give it a wonderful flavour. You can eat the ham as is or you can glaze your ham and simply reheat in the oven to warm through and enhance the flavour.
Which half of the ham should I use?
The shank end is easier to carve as you have something to hold onto, but it does have more bone. The chump end can be a little trickier to carve for the beginner, however tends to have more meat and less bone.
How do I store my Hampden Bridge Ham?
It is best to keep your ham in a Ham Bag.
1. Soak the bag in boiling water before using it for the first time.
2. Rinse the bag in a solution of 1 cup white vinegar and 2 litres of warm water. Wring out excess water, place your ham in the bag and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
3. Repeat step 2 every couple of days or as the bag dries out.
- If fridge space is a problem, remove the meat from the bone in large chunks, wrap in plastic wrap or foil, then freeze for up to 1 month.
- Make sure your fridge is running at peak performance. It should be 3 degrees Celcius or lower to keep foods at their best. Buy a thermometer and place it at the back of your fridge to monitor.